Medford Campus Graffiti Incident

June 12, 2014

Dear Members of the Tufts Community,

Early Saturday morning, one or more vandals spray painted graffiti on the Medford/Somerville campus that included a swastika on the exterior of the Granoff Family Hillel Center. Tufts Facilities Services immediately responded to remove the graffiti and the Tufts Police Department began an investigation in collaboration with the Medford Police Department. To date, this appears to be an isolated incident.

Anti-Semitism and racism are abhorrent and antithetical to the values of our university community. I know that many of you will find this incident painful and deeply offensive, as do I. Rabbi Summit, in collaboration with the University Chaplaincy and others on campus, will be organizing programming this fall examining contemporary anti-Semitism and how to most effectively respond to such acts of prejudice and hatred in our society. I have asked the Tufts Police Department to keep me apprised of the progress of the investigation into this incident and will share any significant developments with the community.

Best wishes,

Tony Monaco