September 12, 2011
Summer 2011 was a busy time for the Tufts University Facilities Services department, with more than 20 projects completed. They amounted to $12.5 million of the total $30 million FY12 budget allocated for deferred maintenance across the university.
Major projects on the Medford/Somerville campus included:
• Complete repointing of the exterior and windows of Barnum Hall and Dana Laboratory, together with the relocation of the emergency generators and completion of the landscaping along the Packard Avenue frontage and service court;
• Complete renovation of the envelope of Bendetson Hall, including a new roof, repointing all the brick walls and a new entry court;
• Renovation of all toilets and common rooms in Lewis Hall;
• Repairs to the exterior envelope of Goddard Hall;
• Repairs to the exterior envelope of TAB;
• Ground-up renovation of the Vouté Tennis Courts;
• Renovation of the interior of the Mayer Campus Center, including a new HVAC system, ceilings, renovated upper-floor meeting spaces and infill of the Commons dining area
• New landscaping, parking and road widening of Latin Way below Talbot Avenue to improve the gateway to the lower campus residential buildings;
• Renovation and restoration of the exterior of Capen House;
• Mechanical systems and window repairs to Gifford House;
• Annual painting, carpeting and touch-up projects throughout campus, along with planning for future major projects; and
• The erection of the steel frame for the Steve Tisch Sports and Fitness Center; the project is on budget and on schedule for a September 2012 opening.
• Completion of the window replacement on the west elevation of the School of Dental Medicine building at One Kneeland Street;
• Phase three of the M&V roof and façade replacement; and
• Build-out of the fifth and sixth floors of the Arnold Building for the growth of the Molecular Biology and Microbiology Department.
• Renovation of the Pathology Suite, adjacent to the Hospital for Large Animals;
• Renovation of the McGrath Veterinary Teaching Lab air-handling unit; and
• Ongoing repair and preventive maintenance projects.